Business Book Club Pick – Find Your Strongest Life by Marcus Buckingham
Posted in Business Books
4 Comments »
Welcome to The Work at Home Woman’s Business Book Club!
The Business Book Club Pick is: Find Your Strongest Life – What the Happiest and Most Successful Women Do Differently, by Marcus Buckingham.
Midpoint Discussion: Friday, October 15th, 2010 – read through chapter 7.
Final Discussion & Review: Friday, November 5th, 2010 – read to end.
Book Stats: 260 pages and 14 Chapters.
Book Description: In Find Your Strongest Life, Marcus Buckingham reveals the powerful key to bring fulfillment, peace, and control into a woman’s life.
Modern women have it all. In the past four decades, women have secured better job prospects, greater acknowledgment for achievement, wider influence, more free time, and higher salaries. And yet, recent studies reveal that women have gradually become less happy than they were 40 years ago, and less happy than men—and unlike men, they grow sadder as they get older. Does this mean that women should return to a world of fewer choices and opportunities? On the contrary, what we have learned provides an opportunity to answer some key questions about the needs of women now. What is the future for women in America? At work, at home, and in life, how can they find deeper fulfillment and joy? And how do we empower our young daughters and today’s 25- and 30-year-olds to make certain they don’t face the same dilemma?
Find Your Strongest Life was born out of a need to respond to questions such as these. The book challenges ingrained myths about women, tackles the paradox of declining female happiness, and demonstrates that the happiest and most successful women:
- Don’t agonize over who they aren’t—they accept and act on who they are. They have discovered the role they were born to play and they play it.
- Don’t juggle—they catch-and-cradle. They don’t keep things at bay, but select a few things and draw them in close.
- Don’t strive for balance—they strive for fullness. They intentionally imbalance their lives toward those moments that make them feel strong.
- Always sweat the small stuff—They know and act on the specific details of what invigorates them (and they let go of what doesn’t strengthen them).
Book Club Guidelines:
- The Work at Home Woman’s Business Book Club is open to all; however books will be geared towards business, career, working at home, women and mothers. Participants will have 6 weeks to purchase and read the entire book.
- Three weeks into the book I will feature a midpoint discussion with questions related to the book. This will be an open discussion for all to participate and learn from each other. Discussions will take in The Work at Home Woman’s Forum.
- Six weeks out there will be a final discussion and wrap up of the book. Discussion will again be held in the forum, allowing flexibility for participants.
- All books will be available for purchase in The Work at Home Woman’s Business Book Shop. By purchasing the books through these links you’ll be helping to support the upkeep and maintenance of this site. You are in no way required to purchase the books through these links to be eligible for the book club.
- If you would like to let your readers know about the club, please email me at email@example.com with “book club logo” in the subject line and I will send you our Business Book Club banner.
- I am always open to your book suggestions and ideas for the Business Book Club. I look forward to connecting with you!
Book Club Reminders & Updates: If you would updates and reminders I will send out email updates and reminders about the business book club, just sign up here (don’t worry this email address will only be used for book club updates).
A special thanks to Abbey Fatica of Living My MoMent for co-sponsoring The Business Book Club! Living My Moment supports mom owned businesses and blogs by offering free advertising, reviews and giveaways – do check it out!
The Work at Home Woman does not participate in paid posts or reviews and always gives honest opinions. By purchasing books through any of these Amazon (affiliate) links you’ll be helping to support the upkeep and maintenance of this site.