By Holly Reisem Hanna
Is your New Year's goal to start making money from home?
Well, you're in luck!
The economy is back on track and technology is allowing more and more tasks to be done from home. So whether you're looking for a full-time gig or ways to make extra money — we've got you covered!
Here are some top work from home jobs and where to find them.
1. PT and FT Telecommuting Jobs.
To find companies that hire remote employees start searching Indeed, (which is an aggregated job board) using the terms: “work at home”, “work from home”, “home-based”, “remote”, “virtual”, “telecommute”, and “telework”.
If you have a little money to spare a FlexJobs membership is well worth the price! Not only are they a member of the Better Business Bureau, but they hand screen all of their jobs before posting, so you can rest assured that you’re not getting scammed.
Here are some of the top telecommuting jobs, as well as companies that hire for these positions.
- Call Agents/Virtual Receptionists – Contract World and GabbyVille
- Marketing – Listrak and Sprinklr
- Medical Transcription – MedQuist
- Registered Nurses – Humana and Aetna
- Sales – Teleflex and RetailMeNot
- Software and App Developers – Golden Frog and Gydder
- Virtual Assistants – Zirtual
- Web Developers – Acquia
- Web Search Evaluators – Appen
Click here for more work at home job listings.
2. Make Extra Money.
If you're looking to make extra cash each month, these opportunities are very flexible and don't require any special skills. I've written about each of these in depth — so just click on the category and it will take you to the companies that hire for these positions.
3. Telecommuting Proposal.
If you already have a job that you adore, perhaps you can take it home by writing and submitting a telecommuting proposal. Start by checking your companies telecommuting policy and then do your research and write up a flex time or work-at-home proposal. Make sure your proposal includes all of the benefits to the company – including the cost to recruit and hire a new employee to replace you if you decide to leave.
4. Become an Entrepreneur.
With the explosion of the Internet, starting your own home-based business is easier and more convenient than ever. One of the biggest challenges for many aspiring entrepreneurs is finding the perfect business idea, but with a little brainstorming and inventory taking you can find the perfect fit.
Here are some hot trends right now …
- Career, Business, or Life Coach
- Direct Sales Consultant
- Freelance Writer
- Social Media Manager
- Virtual Assistant
5. Join a Direct Sales Company.
The direct sales industry has come a long way in the past 20 years; now offering products from major designers and well-known corporations – the opportunities are endless. Here’s how it works, for a small start up fee the direct sales company gives you everything that you need to start selling their products. And for every product that you sell you’ll earn a commission.
Here are a few companies that have unique opportunities …
- Avon – Affordable Makeup and Skincare Products
- CAbi – Stylish Clothing from Designer, Carol Anderson
- Chloe + Isabel – Fashionable Jewelry
- Stella and Dot – Fashion Forward Jewelry
- Traveling Vineyard – Wine
6. Purchase a Home-Based Franchise.
If you have money to invest or you’re willing to take out a loan, a franchise can be a low-risk and lucrative way to work-at-home. The nice thing about a franchise is that all the hard work has been done for you; you basically pay for the franchise and fees and you’re given a detailed road map on how to replicate the business exactly. Many franchises also have well known and established brand names, so you spend less money on marketing and advertising your business.
Here are some affordable home-based franchise opportunities …
- Healthy Hands Cooking – Teaching Cooking Classes to Kids
- Just Between Friends – Children’s and Maternity Consignment Sales Events
- Mom Corps – National Staffing and Recruiting Company
- Stroller Strides – Fitness Programs for Moms
- The Homeowner Referral Network – Contractor Referral Business
This page includes some affiliate and referral links. Please be aware that we only promote advertising from companies that we feel we can legitimately recommend to our readers. Please see our disclosure policy for further information.
Looking for more ways to rock 2015? Check out these articles to make 2015 the best year ever!
1. How to Set and Keep Goals to Make This the Best Year Ever | Jen @ Girl in Garage
2. 15 Ways to Stay Organised at Work During 2015 | Elizabeth Harrin @ A Girl's Guide to Project Management
3. How Personal Style Will Help You Achieve Goals Faster in 2015 | Cherene Francis @ Aura Image Consulting
4. Completing Those Unfinished Projects in the NEW YEAR | Angela Lerew @ Unexpected Elegance
5. 42 Ways to Practice Perfectly & Become an Expert at Almost Anything | Amy Garro @ 13 Spools
6. Easy Exercises to do on a Cruise Ship | Amanda Woods @ Adventures All Around
7. 10 Simple Ways to Eat Healthier This Year | Dawn @ Reveal Natural Health
8. 31 Days to a More Fabulous You | Julie Bonner @ Mom Fabulous
9. How to Make This the Best Gardening Year Ever | Kendra Spencer @ a Sonoma Garden
10. 5 Ways to Make this Your Best Monarch Season…Ever! | Tony Gomez @ Monarch Butterfly Garden
11. 12 Scriptures for Goals and Guidance | Julie @ Loving Christ Ministries
12. How to Build a Starter Emergency Fund in 30 Days or Less | Jackie Beck @ The Debt Myth
13. Family Verse of the Week Challenge for 2015 | Jamie Yonash @ Life is Sweeter By Design
14. Hot Work at Home Jobs for 2015 | Holly Hanna @ The Work at Home Woman
15. A Year of Intention | Hilary Bernstein @ Accidentally Green
16. 2015: Our Best Year Yet | Ashley @ Leaving the Rut
17. Create a Better Life Story | Bronwen Warner @ Tummy Time and Beyond
18. Get Ready to Get MDfit | Tom and Anne @ Eat & Be Fit
19. 5 Free Ways to Learn Something New This Year | Sarah Fuller @ Earning and Saving with Sarah Fuller
20. Healthy Leek Soup | Mirlandra @ Mirlandra's Kitchen
21. Health Resolutions: Baby Steps to a New You | Ellen Christian @ Confessions of an Overworked Mom
22. 5 Ways Busy Moms Can Get Motivated to Work Out | Diane Nassy @ philZENdia
23. Be Prepared for the New Year | Jennifer Dunham Starr @ The Memory Journalists
24. 3 Steps to a Healthier Life in 2015 | Joe Goodwill @Average Joe Cyclist
25. New Year's Resolution: Cook More Often! | Kim Pawell @ Something New for Dinner
26. I Should What? 28 Ways to be Happier | Karen Young @ Hey Sigmund
27. 9 Ways to Get Healthier In The New Year | Amy Maus @ Home and Farm Sense
28. In 2015 Resolve to Take Control of Your Money | Kristia @ Family Balance Sheet
29. Eucharisteo: A Year of Thanksgiving | Lani Padilla @ Simply Fresh Vintage
30. No More Tears at IEP Meetings: Make This Your Best Year Ever! | Lisa Lightner @ A Day In Our Shoes
31. Learn to Save Money on Groceries | Melissa Buckles @ Everyday Savvy
32. How to Achieve Your New Year’s Resolution – For Real This Time! | Michelle @ Dishes and Dust Bunnies
33. 52 Weeks to a Better You: Week 1 – Go to Bed Early | Mindi Cherry @ Moms Need to Know
34. Food Street: How a Community Has Joined Forces to Start a Street Farm | Sam Walker @ Bubble ‘N Squeak
35. Organizing Coupons with the Binder Method | Sara Steigerwald @ Sisters Shopping on a Shoe String
36. How to Make This Year the Happiest Yet | Shambray @ Shambray.com
37. A New Year, A New You | Sharon Rowe @ How to Get Organized at Home
38. 5 Ways to Get Paid for Losing Weight This Year | Anna @ Real Ways to Earn Money at Home
39. Tips for Successful Whole30 | Deanna Michaels @ From This Kitchen Table
40. 75 Ways to Be Healthier in 2015 | Maryea Flaherty @ Happy Healthy Mama
41. How to Make 2015 the Best Year Ever! | Jennifer @ My Boys & Their Toys
Fashion Resolutions: How to Add Style to Any Outfit | Ellen Christian @ The Socialite's Closet