By Holly Reisem Hanna
A resume is a short history of a person’s work experience and skills. Professional resume writers use persuasive words, phrases, and formatting to create powerful images that sell a job seeker to a potential employer.
Starting your own home-based resume business is easy and startup costs are minimal. A good place to start is by taking a resume course and familiarizing yourself with the field. Next, obtain a resume certification to help establish your expertise. Many resume writers will have a college degree, but there is no specific educational requirement that a resume writer must have.
After completing some basic resume writing skills you will need to market your business. There are many different ways to do this, but start with building a website. Next get some business cards, update your LinkedIn profile, and utilize email marketing to get the word out. Many resume writing courses will offer tips and strategies for marketing your new resume writing business.
So if you’re good at proofreading, interviewing, and persuasive writing, becoming a professional resume writer may be the perfect work at home opportunity for you!
Check out our resume writing resources below to get started.
Resume Guides and Reading:
- A Satisfying Career: Starting and Running Your Own Resume Writing Business
- Resume Biz.com
- Resume Magic: Trade Secrets of a Professional Resume Writer
- The Pro Resume Writer Program
- Interview with Liz Searcy — Professional Résumé Writer and Owner of Celebration Career & Business Support
Remote Resume Writing Jobs:
- Career Directors International
- Certified Résumé Writers.com
- The National Resume Writer’s Association (NRWA)
- The Professional Association of Resume Writers & Career Coaches (PARW/CC)
This page includes affiliate links. Please be aware we only promote advertising from companies that we feel we can legitimately recommend to our readers. Please see our disclosure policy for further information.