Podcasts have been on the rise since 2004, with the number of listeners more than doubling in the past couple of years. But perhaps even more interesting is that nearly half of podcast listeners have an annual household income of $75k or higher.
The reason? It could be because podcasts can be highly educational, especially where business, finance, and personal growth are involved. And listening to the right podcasts can be extremely valuable to your small home business.
But there are over half a million podcasts out there. Which are the right ones if you’re looking for quality advice on growing your business? The answer might depend on what stage your business is in and what kind of information will help you best.
Here are a few of the top podcasts for growing your business, whether you’re just starting out or making five figures:
1. For a Motivation Boost: Rise with Rachel Hollis
Rachel Hollis is a party-planner-turned business-tycoon and motivational speaker. Her book, Girl, Wash Your Face is a New York Times bestseller and reveals how women can dispell the lies they’ve been telling themselves without even realizing it.
Her podcasts center around becoming the person you are meant to be while growing your business. She also shares excerpts from her keynote speeches which are highly motivational and empowering. Every episode is chock-full of positive energy, and it’s contagious. These podcasts will leave you feeling pumped and ready to take on the world!
The best thing about Hollis is her ability to keep it real. She isn’t afraid to expose the less glamorous parts of her life and helps women realize that being successful doesn’t mean you aren’t human, too.
- Episode 74: How to Set Yourself Up for Success
- Episode 66: How to Increase Your Revenue by 30 Percent
- Episode 46: The online Marketing Tips You Must Hear!
2. For Taking That Next Step: The Biz Chix Podcast with Natalie Eckdahl
Natalie Eckdahl is a business strategist and coach with a podcast that’s been running for five years. She’s worked with hundreds of female entrepreneurs and has given talks in front of audiences in the thousands.
Needless to say, she knows her stuff!
The Biz Chix Podcast is great for women at any level of business, and her episodes often zero in on how to take that next step in growing your business.
If you manage a team in your small business, you may also benefit from Natalie’s other Podcast, “Stacking Your Team” which looks at how to effectively manage your team and overcome common obstacles that come with a management role.
- Episode 353: How to Get Rapid Visibility
- Episode 346: Imposter Syndrome
- Episode 350: Planning a Productive 2019
3. For All Things Business: The Tim Ferris Show with Tim Ferris
Best known for his book, The 4-Hour Work Week, Tim Ferris’ podcasts do not disappoint. Hailed as the No. 1 business podcast on Apple, he’s hosted some pretty high-profile guests over the years including Lebron James, Arnold Schwarzenegger, Edward Norton, and Tony Robbins.
Name dropping aside; the show definitely has a lot to offer the small business owner, including time-management tips, branding strategy, and how to scale business.
Some episodes are the standard 30-40 minutes long while others are a three-hour marathon. But no matter the episode’s length, they’re always well worth the listen!
- Episode 318: One-Person Businesses That Make $1M+ Per Year
- Episode 269: The 3 Critical Rules of Branding
- Episode 177: Seth Godin on How to Think Small to Go Big
4. For Diversifying Revenue Streams: Smart Passive Income with Pat Flynn
Also known as SPI, the Smart Passive Income podcast centers around providing sustainable passive income in your business. The self-proclaimed “crash test dummy of online business,” Pat Flynn covers what works, what doesn’t, and why. He’s not afraid to regale his audience with tales of his failures and what he learned from them.
SPI doesn’t just cover topics like affiliate marketing, digital products, and online courses. Flynn’s episodes also delve into other important aspects of running a successful business, like the importance of authenticity and personal growth.
If you can’t get enough of SPI, Flynn hosts another helpful podcast called AskPat which is essentially a collection of one-on-one coaching sessions with entrepreneurs who are facing specific challenges.
- Episode 327: How to Write Copy That Sells
- Episode 290: Affiliate Marketing: An Insider Look at My Most Successful Long-Term Campaigns
- Episode 319: How to Work Less & Make More with James Schramko
5. For Content Creation: Do You Even Blog with Pete McPherson
Whether your business has a blog or your blog is the business, Do You Even Blog is on the quest to end all blog mediocrity. Pete McPherson offers valuable, actionable tips on how to find your target audience, how to make your blog stand out from the competition, and how to use your blog for generating revenue.
McPherson hosts a wide variety of guests to examine the benefits of SEO, social media, YouTube, and other platforms for content. No matter the topic on hand, he always finds a way to tie the theme back to blogging and finding your target audience.
Even if you’re not actively blogging, you will still glean extraordinary value from this podcast if you have an online business.
- Episode 59: How to update old blog posts for improved SEO
- Episode 64: How to NAIL you Pinterest Marketing – Breaking the One Percent
- Episode 80: How to be Unique in a World Full of Redundant Content
6. For Finding Unique Business Solutions: What Works with Tara McMullin
Tara Mcmullin is the founder of CoCommercial.co, an online resource geared toward helping small entrepreneurs grow and persevere through the everyday challenges of business. Her podcast, What Works, has been providing actionable business advice since 2015.
Her interviews celebrate the fact that every entrepreneur’s journey is unique; growing a successful business is not necessarily achieved by following particular best practices, but through finding what works for you.
From learning how to shift your mindset to exploring other entrepreneurs’ unconventional methods, What Works might help you crack the code on your latest business struggle.
- Episode 160: Finding New Customers Without Marketing Your Life Away with Lagom Body Co-Founder Kristen Runvik
- Episode 168: Shifting Your Mindset to See Yourself and Your Small Business Differently
- Episode 149: Combining Creativity and Productivity to Do Great Work with Unmistakable Creative Host & Author Srinivas Rao
A good podcast is free education.
There are a ton of great podcasts out there, but these are some of the best ones to start with if you’re looking for quality content that’s jammed-packed with actionable tips for growing your business.
Perhaps the best thing about podcasts is that you can use them to enhance otherwise mundane parts of your day. And if you can grow your business by listening to podcasts while you’re exercising, driving, or folding laundry, why wouldn’t you?
It might be just what you need to take your small biz to the next level. So pop in some earbuds and start benefiting from this free and abundant resource!
What are your favorite podcasts to you listen to? Drop us a note; we’d love to hear from you! If you enjoyed this post — please share it on your favorite social media site.