I have a confession to make: I love keeping my kids’ things. I mean EVERYTHING. Baby clothes, baby toys, baby—everything. I used to have a hard time selling or donating these items simply because I attached a memory to them all.
Flash forward a year later and as closets started to burst and my wallet grew emptier from our transition to a one-income household, it was time for a change.
Being the innovative person that I was, I knew there had to be a way I could clean up and make money from this baby-hoarding habit I had gotten myself into.
Turns out, there was no need to invent anything. Some quick thinking and a little Googling, and I landed among a plethora of selling apps!
I’ve found that these selling apps can be faster to use, and as a bonus, give all of my unused, once loved “stuff” another platform to shine on.
The more exposure your items get, the bigger the audience, the better chance you’ll have to sell everything and presto – money for your next vacation!
Whether you’re looking to make space, get rid of things you don’t wear, or save some money for your next purchase, below is a list of 9 of the best buying and selling apps you can easily download and start using today.
Clothes gathering dust in your closet? How about a playroom filled with unused toys? Grab your smartphone or tablet, snap a picture, upload it, and get selling in all of 60 seconds! Poshmark is a fashion selling app that proudly advertises the premise that selling is simple, social, and fun. Simply grab your phone, download the app, create an account, and sell.
Here are the details on what you can sell using the app:
- Women’s clothing, shoes, jewelry, and other accessories
- Men’s clothing, shoes, and accessories
- Kid’s clothing, shoes, toys, and accessories
- Beauty and wellness products
The name describes it all: Your very own virtual garage sale! I like to think of this as a garage sale for all of us introverts out there. This selling app is great for buying and selling locally. Clear out every room of your house and sell your unwanted items safely and securely within your community. The app verifies your identity via Facebook, so you need to make sure you have an account there.
Here’s an overview of how this genius app works:
I’ve made $200 on this app alone! The ease of use with this selling app made it attractive to me when I first started my search. In as little as 30 seconds, I had posted my first item!
Here’s the scoop with this awesome selling app:
- Downloadable for Android and iOS devices
- Open platform to sell any items you have
- Buy and sell locally – no shipping required
- Seamless platform. It’s easy to upload your items and sell them.
- Instantly message your buyers safely through the app.
This app is similar to OfferUp in that it allows you to buy and sell your secondhand goods locally, so there’s no worry about shipping your items once they’ve sold! Here are some other benefits of using this buying and selling app:
- Website and smartphone app available
- Verified user profiles and ratings to ensure safety for users
- Share the items you’re selling directly from LetGo to the Facebook Marketplace which helps you broaden your reach
- Popularity: This selling app boasts over 100 million downloads and millions of listings again, expanding your reach.
From handmade items to clothing, new or used, you can buy or sell it here. The main difference with this app is that there are no meetups. Mercari users only interact via shipping, so whether you’re buying or selling this app helps you ship and receive items easily. They make shipping super simple, which is a bonus. Here’s how it works:
- Sell It: List your items for free and in minutes with a picture, description, and price.
- Ship It: A printable shipping label is emailed directly to the seller.
- Get Paid: There is a 10% selling fee charged when your sale is completed. Take that into consideration when posting your listing.
Mercari’s process is simple, streamlined, and offers shipping conveniences that speed up your transactions.
FREE Side Hustle Income Tracker
Work smarter, not harder with our FREE Side Hustle Income Tracker! You’ll be to set goals and track how much you’re earning from each method so you can achieve your financial goals!
Ready to buy or sell a car? Blinker has eliminated the hassle out of the process with this easy car buying and selling app. There are no additional fees to sell your car, and you can sell your car even if you have an existing loan amount due. (Blinker takes care of that for you.) Here’s an overview of how it works:
- Create an account and snap a picture of your car.
- Email, text, or share your listing on social media.
- You’ll receive email notifications when a potential buyer is interested.
- Buyers will email you via the app, and you will never need to share phone numbers or email addresses, which provides another layer of security.
You will need to pass their 17-point vehicle ownership and history check to be eligible to sell on this app. Test-drives are highly recommended in a neutral location, and those are set up by you and the buyer. You’ll also need to enter your banking information into the app to be able to make transactions.
Listia is an online marketplace for buying and selling without the use of money. When you sell on this app, you earn Listia credits (Ink) for trading purposes. There are other ways to earn Ink credits, such as bonuses for signing up, inviting friends, and connecting your Facebook account.
This online consignment shop app has redefined the hustle and bustle of needing to lug all of your things to a consignment store to sell. Instead, this app allows you to buy and sell gently used clothing and accessories by shipping your goods to thredUp through their app or online platform. Bonus: The items you buy here are top quality!
Here’s a quick overview on how to sell with thredUP:
- Gather all of the items you want to sell.
- Order a free kit to ship your items to the store. You can choose to donate or keep your earnings from the sale.
- Choose what type of processing time you want for thredUP to check out your items. (There is a fee for faster processing times.)
- Pack your items in the kit, and send them to thredUP to get reviewed.
- Decide what you want to do with any clothing not accepted for resale by thredUP. You can donate or have the items returned.
An online marketplace for designer items created by women for women. This app is the place you want to go for buying and selling gently used high-end items. By agreeing to sell on the app, you must be in the United States and agree that your items are authentic. Here are some other notes about this platform:
- Sell straight from your closet and post unlimited listings.
- Set your price and choose your preferred shipping method.
- There are fees that Tradesy lists upfront prior to posting a listing.
- When the item sells, you ship it directly.
- Earnings are then available after delivery to use as cash on the site or transferred to your bank account.
Clearing out your closet, garage, bedroom, or entire home has never been easier! Gone are the days where it took an hour or more to post an item online. With these buying and selling apps, all you need is your smartphone, good lighting, a quick description, and the click of a button to get organized and start making money in the process.