Build a Website
Whether you’re selling hand-made baby slings, marketing/advertising a home-based virtual assistant business, or creating an informational website to generate a home-based income, you will need to build a website. Here are some simple steps and resources to get you started.
1. Choose your domain name, example www.theworkathomewoman.com
2. Pick a web hosting company. You will want to pick a company that offers guaranteed uptime and that has excellent customer support.
3. Build your site using a website builder, graphic designer or software like Adobe Dreamweaver or Microsoft FrontPage.
4. Make your website stand out from the crowd – hire a graphic designer to customize your site or design a custom logo for you.
5. Add lots of interesting and relevant content to your site – see our free content for your site resources below.
6. Get traffic to your site by submitting your website to search engines and by using SEO techniques.
7. Promote your website using social networks, like MySpace and Facebook. Market your site using a newsletter, see resources below.
Check out our resources below to get started building your website!
Liquid Web They host Heather Armstrong’s blog, Dooce.
Ovaleye is the premier web host for women with hosting plans, products, and services that were specially designed for the needs of busy, passionate, and successful women while offering personalized support.
Constant Contact – I use Constant Contact – love them!
Custom Website & Logo Design
October Skies – This is my web programmer Susan, she’s awesome!
Resources on How to Build a Website
2 Create a Website is a blog where you can get info on website creation. Free website creation tutorial for beginners.
4 Creating a Website gives step by step directions on how to build a website. I really like this site it’s extremely user friendly and it contains great information that is easy to understand. Sign up for their free newsletter.
The Site Wizard.com offers information on website design, promotion, programming and revenue making. They offer a lot of useful information for the beginner.
Get Traffic – Search Engine Submission
DMOZ – Open Directory Project
Google – Web Submission
Yahoo – Site Submission
Get Traffic – Giveaway Submission Sites
Free Content for Your Site