By Holly Reisem Hanna
Copywriting is the process of using persuasive words to promote a person, product, business, idea or opinion. Copywriters write the words in TV commercials, radio ads, magazines, newspapers, billboards, flyers, websites and direct mailings – wherever something is being sold, copywriters are hard at work writing alluring and compelling advertisements.
Freelance copywriting is a great way to work at home, while making a substantial income and allowing you the freedom to work in a variety of markets (self-help, work-at-home, business, financial, and health).
There are a couple of different ways you can become a copywriter, one you could get a college degree in advertising, marketing, English, or communications, or two, you could take a home-study course that teaches you the trade of copywriting. Many of the home-study courses can be completed within a few months and cost under $500.00. New freelance copywriters can generally make $30,000.00 – $50,000.00 a year, while experienced copywriters can make well over six figures a year.
If you pay great attention to detail, have excellent organizational and time management skills, like to read and do research, are creative, consistent and able to meet deadlines, a freelance career in copywriting may be the perfect work at home opportunity for you.
To learn more about direct response copywriting, click here.
To learn about copywriting for the web, click here.
- Interview with Kelly Robbins – President of The Copywriting Institute
- Interview with Mindy McHorse — Freelance Copywriter
- How to Write Persuasive Website Copy
- B2B Writing Success
- Copy Hackers
- Excess Voice
- Marketing Words
- The Copywriting Institute
- The Copywriting Maven
- Wealthy Web Writer
- American Writers & Artists Inc (AWAI) offers top notch Copywriting courses in Web Copywriting, SEO Copywriting, Six-Figure Copywriting and Email Copywriting. The Six-Figure Copywriting course cost $457.00, with a 30 day, no questions asked return policy. AWAI is a member of the BBB.
- Fab Job offers a 140 page guide on “Becoming an Advertising Copywriter”. The guide includes ways to learn the copywriting skill, how to get experience, how to prepare your portfolio, how to get hired, and how to be successful. Fab Job offers a 30 day money back satisfaction guarantee.
- The Copywriting Institute coaches and trains writers on marketing principles, how to write marketing and communications copy, and understanding money-making skills while working from home. Our courses include training on writing copy (we believe you learn to write by actually writing!), coaching and specific, individual feedback on each project, as well as coaching and training on business building and money making principles.