Start Your Year Off Right: Plan Your Marketing for the Year in One Day
Most of us didn’t start our business so we could do marketing all day. We started our business because we knew we could help people in one way or another.
However, most of us quickly learned that our business isn’t going anywhere without marketing. When we do market our business, we are ultimately able to help more people. And we can ultimately make more money!
Intuitively we know that marketing is a good thing to do, we just don’t want to do it. I find this truth to be universal for ALL entrepreneurs. The easiest and best way to turn marketing into a pleasant event is to create automated systems and processes, so the marketing happens even if you don’t feel like doing it.
Let’s talk about creating marketing systems in a little more detail. Fundamentally, understanding this process is the key to generating more income and increasing the size of your business.
When I talk about marketing systems I’m talking about taking action using a planned, ordered procedure. A marketing system is a methodical and fairly automated way to communicate with clients and prospects. The goal of implementing a “systemized marketing procedure” is to create a disciplined and organized approach to marketing. Marketing needs to be done, but you shouldn’t have to spend all day every day stressing about it. When the procedures are automated you can easily teach someone else to do them and ensure your connect with your clients on a consistent basis.
There are several reasons (let’s call them what they are – excuses) for not doing any marketing. Here are some of the top excuses we hear from our coaching clients:
“I don’t do marketing because …”
- I hate it
- Because I don’t know how to
- Marketing is boring
- I’m too busy
- It doesn’t work
- It’s too expensive
- People don’t like to be sold to
- My business will come naturally
Whether you love to market your business or not, putting systems in place so your marketing is done in a consistent and effortless manner ensures it happens – even when you are super busy or just don’t feel like it!
Here are some tips to creating your own marketing systems:
- Put one system in place at a time. Get one down and then start another.
- Schedule time each week to work on growing your business. Have a calendar system you use, such as Google calendar, and stick to it.
- If there are things you really don’t want to do, have someone else do them. Hire a virtual assistant, do a trade with someone, have a high school student or intern at the local college help you out.
- Use only a few marketing methods, not all of them. The ones you do use do them well. A major mistake many marketers make is feeling they have to do everything available to them. It’s impossible and usually ineffective because you end us spreading yourself too thin. Pick a few strategic ways to get in front of your clients and do them well.
- Plan your major marketing efforts for the year with a marketing plan – download our free marketing planning guide right now and get it done in one day!
Systemizing your marketing not only ensures it will get done each month (or week), but it allows you to set up your business the way YOU want it set up, and then you can teach someone else to do it. Again, the way YOU want it done.
Kelly Robbins, MA is the Founder of The Copywriting Institute, a training and resource center for copywriters, Kelly Robbins, is an award winning author, copywriter, and marketing coach. Visit www.TheCopywritingInstitute.com to receive your free e-zine on copywriting and business building tips as well as a free report, “Four Steps to Living Your Life Your Way”.