Whether you’ve been forced into entrepreneurship or are considering it by choice, there has never been a better time to start an online virtual assistant business.
Not sure what services to offer or what niches virtual assistants can work in? Then check out this list of in-demand services and niches to consider.
1. Blog Service Assistant
Blog services have been a popular virtual assistant niche for the past few years. I do not see a decline occurring soon. Not only are more businesses coming online and looking at blogs for marketing their products or services, but Google has also implemented updates recently that aim to bring fresh content to searchers. Blogs are the perfect platform for providing fresh content.
- WordPress installation and set-up
- Blog marketing (social media)
- Writing, proofreading, editing, and scheduling content
- Guest posting services (content creation, submission, engagement with readers)
- Facebook group moderation
- Pinterest pin creation and scheduling
- Email marketing
- SEO research
- Answer emails
- Manage schedule and calendars
2. Social Media Marketing Assistant
Social media marketing has been another hot service offering in recent years. As social networking continues to grow, and new networking platforms are introduced every year. It is no longer just about Twitter and Facebook. We also have Instagram, TikTok, Snapchat, YouTube, LinkedIn, Pinterest, and so many more. Social media marketing is not only necessary for online businesses; many virtual assistants are carving themselves a niche by offering specialized services to local businesses also.
- Social media profile set-up
- Updates and engagement
- Content curation
- Image creation
- Video creation, editing, and marketing
- Group marketing, moderation, and engagement
- Local social engagement and monitoring (Yelp and Meetup)
- Set-up, manage, and evaluate social media ad campaigns
Related Content: How This Gal Works as a Pinterest VA
3. Book Marketing Assistant
Book marketing services are on the rise as more and more authors are turning to self-publishing. While self-publishing opens the door for many more authors to have their written works printed, it also puts many of the aspects that would otherwise be handled by a publishing company in the author’s hands.
- Author website or blog set-up and maintenance
- Social media profile set-up and ongoing updates and engagement
- Editing, formatting, and submission of digital book versions to online platforms
- Virtual book tours
- Offline and online marketing
- Book review outreach
- Set-up and manage giveaways
4. Real Estate Virtual Assistant
Real estate virtual assistants (sometimes also called transaction coordinators) typically work with real estate agents, mortgage and lending brokers, leasing and property management companies. Because these are specialized fields that often deal with a large number of contracts, they need virtual assistants that are well versed in these areas. If you have experience in any of these fields, or if you’ve taken a course, there are many services you can offer these professionals.
- Get signatures and manager documents
- Act as communication liaison
- Admin support and scheduling
- Cold calling and email prospecting
- Manage online listings
- Marketing online and off-line
- Website updating and management
- Bookkeeping duties
5. Graphic Design Virtual Assistant
If you’re skilled with Photoshop, your skills are in high demand! Business owners of all sizes need design assistants to help with a wide variety of projects. Since many of these projects will be promotional in nature, knowing some basic marketing, copywriting, and branding strategies will be helpful. If design and creativity are in your wheelhouse, consider offering these virtual assistant services.
- Logo creation
- Custom templates
- Website creation
- Advertising assets
- Social media graphics
- Branding services
- Create printables
- Illustration vectors
- Book covers
- Design landing and squeeze pages
- Product labels and packaging
6. Tech Virtual Assistant
If you have a mind for all things tech, you can make excellent money helping others solve their tech issues and problems. The services you can offer in this niche are endless, but here are some in-demand services that I see frequently requested online.
- Install, configure, and design websites (WordPress, Shopify, Squarespace, or Wix)
- Host migration
- Site audits
- Website domain change
- Website maintenance and security
- Quick-fix solutions
- Migrate from Blogger to WordPress
Of course, in the tech arena, you can become super-specialized, focusing on one tech tool. For instance, some tech virtual assistants specialize in platforms like ConvertKit, Leadpages, or Shopify because there can be a steep learning curve for these platforms.
7. Podcast Virtual Assistant
Podcasting is so much more than recording an interview and posting it online; that’s why podcasters need skilled podcast virtual assistants. If you haven’t started your own podcast and gone through all the processes, you can learn how to help business owners in this niche by completing training through Podcast Production School.
Here is a shortlist of services you can offer in this niche.
- Technical set-up
- Audio recording and editing
- Podcast episode note creation
- Podcast distribution
- Project management
- Guest speaker outreach and management
- Podcast marketing
8. Online Research Assistant
If you’re detail-oriented, organized, and good at research, you can work for writers, academics, marketers, mortgage lenders, lawyers, and medical professionals doing research and data collection. Having background knowledge in an industry like healthcare or legal can be helpful and can also help determine your niche. Here are some common services online research assistants can offer.
- Data collection online, in person, via phone
- Document verification
- Create, organize, manage, and analyze data
- Prepare documents, spreadsheets, or presentations
- Write case studies, grant letters, white papers, or reports
- Fill out paperwork and forms
9. Personal Assistant
Personal assistants, sometimes called personal concierges, can work for individuals or business owners, or a combination of the two. In this role, you’ll perform a wide variety of tasks (usually a combination of virtual and in-person tasks) based on what the client needs. Here is just a sample of the services you can offer as a personal assistant.
- Answer emails
- Make phone calls and schedule appointments
- Make travel arrangements
- Online research
- Run errands
- Schedule management
- Fill out paperwork and forms
- Purchase gifts
- Paying bills
- Helping with a move (packing and unpacking)
- Party planning
- Pet care
10. Maternity Concierge
If you love babies and know about the latest baby gadgets and trends, offering maternity concierge services may be your calling. Depending on your background, you can offer pre and post-delivery services, education, emotional support, and newborn and infant services. Here is a list of some of the services you can offer in this role.
- Manage baby registry
- Create and send out birth announcements
- Set-up vendor services like diaper delivery, house cleaning, newborn photography session, and food delivery
- Baby proofing services
- Party planning
- Food prep and freezer storage
- Research for doulas, midwives, birthing centers, birthing classes, and child care facilities
- Run errands
- Travel planning
- Sleep coaching
The possibilities are endless when it comes to the virtual assistant services you can offer. And, this is a home-based business that will allow you to evolve and expand your offerings as time goes on. The online world is constantly changing, and new platforms are always popping up, which means there will always be new virtual assistant services you can offer to clients.
Are you ready to start your virtual assistant business? Grab our free business plan template to help get you started.
Originally published April 21, 2012. Content updated May 12, 2021.