The money is in the list.
It seems I hear this phrase everywhere. For a good reason – it’s true.
Email has consistently delivered the highest or second-highest return on investment. This makes it more effective in generating sales than direct marketing, content marketing, and social media. (Source: Econsultancy)
That’s a convincing statistic. So why does email work?
Here’re some of the reasons why email gets you more clients:
- High Reach: Unlike social media, you can reach most, if not all, of your email list. With Facebook or Twitter, your post appears for a short time and then drops out of sight. An email sits in the inbox until the recipient is ready to read it.
- Personal: You’re sending a message directly to someone’s inbox. This can trigger a meaningful 1:1 conversation. Building genuine relationships is a surefire way to win more clients.
- Affordable and Easy To Use: Everyone has an email account. For your business, use an email service provider (like Constant Contact or ConvertKit) to manage your subscriber list. Some providers even offer a free service for up to a few thousand subscribers.
- Full Control: You own your email list and have full control over the messages you send. In contrast, with social media and advertising channels, you’re at the mercy of policy changes. When Facebook recently made changes to its algorithm, many businesses saw a big drop in the number of fans reached.
So how can you attract more clients using email?
There are many time-consuming ways to attract more clients. The most popular is writing guest blogging on popular blogs. This gets you in front of a new audience of potential subscribers (and clients).
However, guest posting takes time. For this article, I’m sharing three quick and easy methods to get more clients using email marketing.
#1 Give Great Content
Before you even think about selling, it’s essential to give value. You can start by offering new subscribers a short-term incentive. Such as a free e-book, discount code, or white paper. But don’t stop there. After someone joins your email list, continue to give them your best stuff.
One of my favorite sites, Copyblogger, does this well. When you sign up for their email list, for a short period of time, you get instant access to a selection of resources. They follow this up with a series of emails pointing to new resources. All of these offer incredible value to new and experienced bloggers.
Think about how you can build period. This makes it easier to turn a lead into a client further down the line.
#2 Ask Questions
There’s one thing a lot of people forget. Email is a two-way channel.
One way to make this happen is to ask questions in your emails. It’s best to keep your questions simple. By keeping it natural, you’re more likely to strike up a conversation with someone. Some questions you can ask are:
- Did you get your free sample/ e-book/ discount code? (If you offer a sign-up incentive).
- What are you struggling with right now? (If you’re a coach or consultant).
- What would you like me to write about in future emails and articles?
By asking questions, you grow closer to your email audience. You gain a deep understanding of their interests and challenges. It also gets your subscribers used to taking action. So when you’re ready to sell something, they’re more like to buy from you.
#3 Put A Call-To-Action In Your Email Signature
This is one of my favorite strategies. I like it because it’s so simple.
I’m sure you’ve heard about using your email signature before. But the key here is to put a strong call to action in your signature. Here’s mine:
“Learn how to grow your list and convince subscribers to open your emails and take action.”
When someone clicks on my signature, it directs them to a landing page with an opt-in email form.
An email signature is quick to set up and starts working for you right away. If you don’t have a compelling call-to-action in your signature, I urge you to create one now.
#4 Forum Signature (bonus tip!)
Finally, one bonus tip. If you participate in forums, you can use the same call-to-action in your forum signature. Some people will click your signature line. If they like what they see, they may then subscribe to your email list and eventually become a client.
Just make sure you check the forum rules first.
When used effectively, email marketing is a great way to win more clients. Best of all – it can be automated. Generating a steady stream of sales.
Do you have an email list for your business? What email strategies have you used to get more clients?