Everyone loves a good bargain, but nothing compares to getting things for free. Now, it’s easier than ever to score incredible freebies. Here are a bunch of great ways to get free stuff you’ll actually use.
Today’s digital age provides many benefits, from the ability to work at home to finding free stuff across a wide range of categories. It’s easier than ever to find things that you want and need without paying a dime (even while working from home!).
If you’re looking for ways to help stretch your budget further, check out these resources for finding free stuff.
Get Free Stuff Online
1. Online Marketplaces
You may have used community marketplaces like Craigslist, Nextdoor, and Facebook groups to find all kinds of items. You’ll be amazed at the variety of free items sellers post on these platforms, from clothing and baby items to household items, plants, and even moving boxes.
2. Free Trials
Subscription services and memberships are very popular and very expensive. Thankfully, with just a little time, you can sign up for trial periods and get all kinds of free stuff, such as show and movie streaming, audiobooks, music streaming, snacks and treats, coffee, and more.
Just remember to mark your calendar for the end of the free trials so you can cancel and avoid charges.
Amazon Prime Membership
This is a great one because Amazon Prime members enjoy many benefits, including free two-day shipping, TV streaming, music streaming, and more. Enjoy a free 30-day trial of Amazon Prime for new members or six months of Amazon Prime for free if you’re a college student new to the Amazon program.
Next to free food, free streaming entertainment is something to truly enjoy. If you don’t mind listening to ads, you can get free memberships on both Spotify and Pandora.
And, if you’re an Amazon Prime member already, don’t forget to take advantage of the Amazon Music subscription that’s included with your membership.
TV and Movie Streaming
Forget about paying for cable! And you don’t need to pay Netflix’s or Disney+’s rising rates. There are several streaming channels that you can watch for free.
- Amazon Freevee
- Pluto TV
3. Free Entertainment With Your Library Card
Libraries now offer much more than books. With a valid library card, you can access tons of free entertainment and educational resources such as audiobooks, movies, music, games, classes, museum tickets, and more. Get details from your local library.
4. Airline Tickets
Rewards credit cards are a great way to pay for things you buy already (gas, groceries, utilities). And as long as you pay it off regularly, you can earn great rewards such as airline tickets! If you already use a credit card but aren’t getting rewards from it, look around to find one that fits what you want.
5. Free Wi-Fi
You can often find free wi-fi at coffee shops, hotels, gas stations, mechanics, etc. The WiFi Map app is a great app that provides information about the free wi-fi connections in the area. If you can’t find wi-fi nearby, Instabridge is a great app that can lead you to little-known free wi-fi hotspots you may not find otherwise.
6. Classes and Courses
Coursera and edX offer free college-level courses (many from well-known universities) in a huge variety of areas. If you want to learn a new language or skill, check out these sites before you consider paying for it. Explore this massive list for more free online courses.
Get Free Stuff in the Mail or in Person
7. Loyalty Programs
Loyalty programs are a great way to get free stuff from your favorite businesses. Sign up for rewards programs and receive free things like gift cards, food, tickets, merchandise, etc.
8. Product Samples
Many stores, such as Costco and other wholesale clubs or fragrance and beauty supply stores, offer free samples. If you can’t find samples in stores, sometimes you can get samples by mail from companies like Unilever if you agree to test or review them.
You can also try signing up with a company like PINCHme that will send you free samples from various brands. After you sign up and complete your profile, you can pick out samples you want to receive.
At Sephora, you can get free samples of almost any product – just ask. You can select up to 3 samples for each area of the store (fragrance, makeup, skincare). Plus, you can often stack drugstore coupons with rewards promos to get free makeup. Or, use rebate apps like Ibotta to get free makeup.
If you need a little pampering, book a free 20-minute hair styling consultation or facial at Aveda stores.
Bath and Body Products
Have you checked out the free samples at Costco? If you hit the store around lunchtime (especially on weekends), you can practically get a free meal by trying all the free samples around the store.
Restaurants will also offer free items to get you inside to try their food or when you sign up for loyalty programs.
Here are a few examples of the amazing offers you can find:
- Various food options through the Chick-fil-A One rewards program.
- Free treat at Panera when you join My Panera rewards program.
- Chili’s Rewards members get free chips and salsa or a free soft drink every time they visit.
- Get a free burger with your purchase of an entree or drink at Johnny Rockets when you sign up for the Rocket e-club.
- T.G.I. Fridays Rewards program members get free chips and salsa, birthday goodies, and other rewards.
9. Kids Meals at Restaurants
If you want to eat out, it can quickly get very expensive to pay for kids to eat, too. Thankfully, there are so many restaurants that offer kids-eat-free deals.
In addition to local restaurants near you, check out these deals:
- Famous Daves – On Tuesday, kids can get a free Lil’ Wilbur meal with the purchase of an adult entree.
- Smashburger – Wednesdays are kids eat free (with the purchase of an adult entree, side, and drink) at select Smashburger locations.
- Ruby Tuesday – On Tuesdays, kids eat free after 5 p.m. with the purchase of an adult entree.
11. Free Diapers
Any parent who buys diapers knows just how expensive they can be! Check the National Diaper Bank to see if you qualify and get free diaper samples from companies like Cuties. Also, join the Pampers and Huggies diaper rewards programs to earn freebies.
12. Medicine and Health Supplies
Health care is another area that can be a budget killer. Try asking your doctor for free samples of prescribed medications. You can also check with drug companies for samples or discount coupons to make medications free or affordable.
With a little time and willingness to share information about yourself (occupation, income, etc.), you can get free magazines such as Real Simple, Food Network, Prevention, National Geographic, US Weekly, and more. Check out ValueMags to view current offerings.
If you love to read, your first thought may be to head to your local library to pick up your next novel. However, there are several other places where you can access free books for your reading pleasure.
15. Free Shipping
Many online stores offer free shipping (and the list grows daily) without purchasing a membership (like Amazon Prime). While you may need a minimum purchase amount, you can often find online coupons for free shipping on Rakuten or RetailMeNot.
16. Shipping and Moving Supplies
Check out the free shipping supplies like boxes, padded envelopes, and labels offered by USPS.com.
Or, if you’re moving, you can get free moving boxes at major retailers such as Whole Foods, Trader Joe’s, and Barnes & Noble. Liquor stores are also a great place to get free (strong) boxes. Just call the store and ask a manager if you can pick up any extra boxes they have.
Places to Get Free Stuff on Your Birthday
17. Food and Drinks
- Baskin Robbins – Join the Birthday Club for a free scoop on your birthday.
- Red Robin – Get a free birthday burger when you sign up for the Red Robin Royalty program.
- Caribou Coffee – Get a complimentary beverage during your birthday week when you join Caribou Perks.
- Smoothie King – Join the Smoothie King Healthy Rewards program to get a free birthday smoothie.
- Starbucks – Enjoy a free birthday drink when you join Starbucks Rewards.
- Steak ‘n Shake – Get a free specialty shake when you join the Steak ‘n Shake eClub.
- Bruegger’s Bagels – Participants of the Inner Circle program will get a free bagel and cream cheese on their birthday.
- Crumbl Cookies – Get a free cookie on your birthday after joining the loyalty program.
- Nothing Bundt Cakes – Get a free Bundtlet on your birthday when you join the Nothing Bundt Cakes eClub.
- Pei Wei – Sign up for My Wei Rewards and choose a small shareable on your birthday.
- Athleta – Get a free birthday gift when you sign up for Athleta Loyalty Rewards.
- Banana Republic – Enjoy a free birthday gift when you sign up for Banana Republic Loyalty Rewards.
- Eddie Bauer – Sign up for the Adventure Rewards program and get a free birthday gift.
- Kohl’s – Kohl’s Rewards program members enjoy a special birthday gift.
- Old Navy – Navyist Rewards members get a free birthday gift.
19. Other Free Stuff for Your Birthday
- Sephora – Sephora offers several free gift options for your birthday.
- Ulta – Join the Ultamate Rewards program for a free birthday gift.
- Smashbox – Members of the Smash Cash program receive a birthday reward.
- Cost Plus World Market – Sign up for World Market Rewards for a surprise birthday offer.
Get Free Stuff Conclusion
There are many ways to get free stuff for your birthday and every day. Use this guide as inspiration, and a little time and creativity can yield even more free items than this post includes.
And if you’re a small business owner, tons of companies offer entrepreneurs freebies! Check out this massive list of free resources for small business owners!