By Holly Reisem Hanna
A Travel Agent is a person who sells, arranges, and markets travel for a consumer. Home based travel agents generally work for a host agency [a company that is bonded and accredited by the Airlines Reporting Corporation (ARC) and the International Airlines Travel Agents Network (IATAN)] as an independent contractor, thus being allowed to collect commission on travel arrangements booked.
Starting a home based travel agency business is easy and has a relatively low start up cost. Some items that you will need are a computer, internet access, a phone, fax machine, a printer and a website to promote your business. Many host agencies offer home-study courses for a few hundred dollars that give you all the tools and training necessary to get you started working from home.
So if you enjoy travel, are goal oriented, have excellent communication skills, an extensive knowledge of places, people and culture, and you like to do research, a home based career as a travel agent may be the perfect work at home opportunity for you. See our resources below to get started.
Other Home-Based Travel Resources:
- Travel Blogging – The Ultimate How to Guide
- 6 Home-Based Travel Jobs
- Become a Travel Consultant
- Become a Travel Writer
- Looking for flexible jobs in the travel and hospitality industry? Check out FlexJobs, an innovative, professional job service to help you find the best flexible jobs available, safely and easily. Every job is hand-screened and legitimate. Guaranteed.
Home-Based Travel Agent Resources and Opportunities:
- Cruises Inc offers a home-based cruise specialist program. Sell cruises and earn commission from your sales. Enrollment fees from $249 – $449 and includes training, website, business start-up kit and much more. See site for additional details.
- Cruise Planners is a home-based franchise that offers cruise planning services to individuals. So if you love to travel and have the entrepreneurial bug, Cruise Planners may be a great fit for you.
- Disney Vacation Planner seeks outside sale consultants to sell Disney Cruises and Vacation Packages. Must have a passion for Disney.
- Home Based Travel Agent Resource Center offers a home-based, travel agent, home study course for $150.00. Site offers free resources, tips, travel industry definitions and home-based travel agent newsletter.
- Prestige Travel Systems presents a program to become an independent travel agent, allowing you to be able to work from home or an office. The home-study course costs $125.00 and includes training and start-up. You can earn up to 100% of commission. Sign up for their free newsletter.
- Travel at Home with Dugan’s Travel offers a membership program that teaches you how to become a home based travel agent. The cost to join is $130.00 and includes training, a website and access to the agent’s only website. Sign up for their free newsletter.
- Travel Counselors is a host agency offering home-based travel business for experienced travel agents. They offer training, PR, marketing and other valuable tools. Earn commission on your sales made. See site for additional details.
How To Start A Home Travel Agency
By LeVar Jones
If you want to start a home based business, you might want to consider starting a home travel agency. This type of business is very lucrative, if it is marketed right, and it is very easy and inexpensive to get into as well. In fact, you will find that this is one of the easiest ways to get started with a home business, because you don’t need your own product or service. Instead, your service is based on the products and services of others. All you have to do is to put those products and services together with the people who need them. The easiest way to break into a home travel agency is to contract with another travel agency. Many larger travel agencies offer franchises, but this can be quite expensive. There are cheaper ways to get started, such as with a network marketing host agency. Through a program such as this, you can get started with your own web-based home travel agency for as little as $170 bucks. Starting a home based business has never been easier, or cheaper.
A company like a network marketing travel agency will basically provide you with everything that you need to make your home travel agency a success, but you will be responsible for marketing your business. When you choose to go with this option, the company that you choose to work with should provide you with immediate online booking abilities, which are available around the clock. You should also receive a website that is ready to accept customers, and you should also be given access to numerous travel deals that you can offer your customers.
By using a network marketing travel agency, you don’t have to worry about collecting fees from your clients. Instead, all fees are collected by the host agency, and you are paid a commission of the total fees. Furthermore, the entire thing should be automated, so that you can spend your time gaining clients, without actually having to serve them. Instead, the website should serve your customers well.
Furthermore, the company that you choose to work with for your home travel agency should provide you with training, as opposed to leaving you to figure things out alone. A good company will provide you with a welcome kit, a step-by-step guide that you can follow, access to a private agent’s website, where you can get support from other agents, a website to market your business, and teleconferences and webinars to help you succeed.
The company should also provide you with access to representatives that can answer any questions that you may have immediately, so that you can better serve your customers. It is also a good idea to work with a company that has a proven track record in the industry, instead of going with a company that hasn’t been around for very long. This way, you can be sure that the company isn’t going to disappear overnight, and that you are indeed going to get paid your commissions.
The great thing about starting a home travel agency in this way is that you can do this without quitting your current job, or you can add this business to just generate extra income. This allows you to have this lucrative business, without reducing your income while you grow your home travel agency. With the possibilities of this industry, however, the chances are good that you won’t want to continue on your current career path for long. Instead, you will want to spend your time doing the things that you love, and if traveling is one of those things, a good company will also offer their agents fabulous travel deals for themselves.
The travel industry is a $7 billion dollar business annually, and there is no better time to take your piece of that pie, with your own home travel agency than now. So, if you’ve been thinking about starting your own home business, and you haven’t had a clue as to where to start or what product to sell, a company like TraVerus offers you the ability to jump right in with your own home travel agency, and this is something that you won’t find in other industries. You can sell what people want, and other than marketing your website, there is really nothing further that you need to do in order to be successful with your new business.
LeVar Jones is a successful internet entrepreneur who along with his wife Brandi, coaches like-minded individuals to success. For a free introduction to a revolutionary business model click here: http://www.jointraverus.info/
Article Source: EzineArticles.com