By Holly Reisem Hanna
Back when I started my work-at-home job search in 2007 — I had a very difficult time finding any legit opportunities on the web. While I was able to land a part-time, freelance marketing gig through a friend; I was still wanted to learn more about the work-at-home world and the new emerging technology that would allow individuals to work seamlessly from their homes. Of course, the iPhone launched later that year, making telecommuting an even more viable option.
Today the telecommuting and home-based business opportunities available for women are endless, especially if you live in the U.S. But what if you’re traveling abroad and you need to make some extra cash? What if you don’t live in the US and you want to work from home? Well, there’s good news, there are a lot of companies that offer global positions from home.
Here are a few options to get you started.
Companies That Hire a Global Workforce:
My initial goal when I was writing this post was to find companies that hire international remote workers, but it looks like WAH Adventures, About.com, and Real Ways to Earn already have compiled great lists themselves. Companies like CCI, Lionbridge, Leapforce, Dell, Demand Studios, and Working Solutions all hire global telecommuters. Most of the opportunities revolve around translation services, call center work, freelance writing, IT services, and online tutoring. Check out the sites above to see the lists and details for each company.
International Job Boards:
If you're moving out of the country, it may seem impossible to find a new job, especially one that you can do from home. Luckily, there are some great job boards that can meet your needs.
Indeed is one of my favorite sites to use when searching for telecommuting jobs, here’s why. It's an aggregated job board, which means their platform pulls job listings from all the other major job board sites. This means you save tons of time because you don’t have to search each job site individually. While the jobs are not screened for legitimacy, Indeed does requires that all listings contain a company name, location, job title, and complete job description. To find international jobs just use the keywords, “work at home” and “international.”
FlexJobs is an online job board that caters to flexible working arrangements. On FlexJobs you can search for jobs by location, including international gigs. Simply view the “Job Search Options” on the right-hand side of the website and click on “Find Jobs By Location.” This will take you to a page that lists jobs by region, just choose “International Listings.” While it does cost a small fee to join it’s well worth it. All jobs are hand screened, so you know that you’re dealing with legit opportunities. And if you’re dissatisfied with the service you can request a full refund; it’s also worth noting that they are a member of the Better Business Bureau.
Expatica is not only a job board, but it is a full online resource and community dedicated to expats. Currently, they have information for Belgium, Germany, Moscow, South Africa, Switzerland, the UK, France, Luxembourg, Portugal, Spain, and the Netherlands. Just click on the country you're interested in, and news, information, weather, events, and employment opportunities will be shown for that country. You can also chat on their forum and ask other expats and locals about jobs in the area.
Working online is an excellent option for expats and international residents who want to work from home. While there are numerous companies that offer digital earning gigs and remote jobs — you will need to verify with each one that completing tasks is allowed for residents outside of the US.
Here are some companies that do offer global opportunities.
Digital Earning Gigs:
Swagbucks is an online platform where you can earn points called SB, which can be redeemed for gift cards, coupons, and sweepstake entries. You can easily earn SB by watching videos, answering questions, completing offers, and even surfing the internet using their toolbar. Refer your friends, and you’ll earn even more SB. Your SB points can be traded in for gift cards from Amazon, Target, Starbucks, PayPal, and Walmart. Also when you register, you'll earn a $5 sign up bonus! Swagbucks is open to residents of the US, UK, Canada, Australia, and Ireland.
CashCrate is an online platform where you can start earning money by completing offers, taking surveys, watching videos, and shopping online using their site. Tasks pay out anywhere from a few cents to $30.00 or more, and you’ll receive a $1.00 for signing up for an account. Payments are made via check or PayPal. According to their website, “You must be at least 13 years old. Members from the United States and other English speaking countries will have the most offers available to them, but members from other countries are welcome too.”
FusionCash is an online platform that is open to US and Canadian residents. Here you can make money from taking surveys, watching videos, shopping, completing short tasks, and much more. Earn $5.00 just for joining. Most offers pay between .25 to $30.00 per offer, and payments are made via PayPal, check, or direct deposit once your account reaches a $25.00 threshold. Fusion Cash is a member of the Better Business Bureau.
InboxDollars is open to US, Canadian, and UK residents. Here you can earn cash for surveys, reading emails, playing games, redeeming coupons, searching the web, and shopping online. Membership is free, and you’ll receive $5.00 for signing up. Payments are made via check.
Pinecone Research is open to US, UK, and Canadian residents. Owned by the Nielsen Company, Pinecone Research is an online platform that offers surveys and product evaluations. Simply fill out your profile, and you’ll be matched to opportunities and surveys that fit your demographic. Most surveys take 15 – 20 minutes and pay out in points, which can be redeemed for cash, prizes, or sweepstake entries. If you select the cash out option, payments are made via a debit MasterCard or PayPal. Pinecone Research also has opportunities for product reviews.
Opinion Outpost is open to US and Canadian residents. Here you can earn money by completing online surveys. Just sign up, answer survey questions and earn cash, sweepstakes entries, or rewards for your time. Reviews on Opinion Outpost are favorable on their Facebook page, as well as on Survey Police they have a solid 4 out of 5 stars rating.
- French-speaking Canadian residents sign up here
- English-speaking Canadian residents sign up here
- UK residents sign up here
Amazon Mechanical Turk is a short task site open to international residents. Earnings can be paid in US Dollars, Indian Rupees, or Amazon Gift Cards, via your Amazon payment account. Unfortunately, US citizens living outside the U.S. are not allowed to work on Amazon Mechanical Turk.
Test Out Websites:
User Testing is open to US and International residents alike who are able to receive payments via PayPal. They are currently seeking Canadian, Australian, German, and UK residents for testers. You can earn $10/$15 for 20 minutes of work. To become a tester – submit your email address and apply. Testers must take a sample test before receiving any assignments.
Rev hires worldwide remote workers for transcription jobs, captioning jobs, and translation jobs. Transcriptionists make $0.40 – $0.65 per audio minute, captioners make $0.40 – $0.75 per video minute, and translators make $0.05 – $0.07 per word. Payments are made via PayPal.
TranscribeMe hires a global workforce for audio and video transcriptionist. With this opportunity, you can work as little or as much as you want. Payments are made weekly via PayPal.
From blog posts and newsletters to articles and advertising copy people are always looking for writers. Check with some of the major freelance sites, like Upwork, FlexJobs, and Problogger and see how you can offer up your writing services. Most freelance job boards and gigs pay via PayPal.
Want to know where to find more paid writing gigs? Here are 99+ places to get you started!
Social Media Managers:
Timely is a New Zealand-based company that hires social media and content managers, as well as customer service champions. While the current positions say you must be located in New Zealand, when I talked to the head of marketing, she said they would consider applicants from anywhere in the world if they were totally awesome. Timely is in the process of expanding operations to the UK, and then the US, then Australia.
Selling Products From Home:
While not a job per se, direct sales is a money making opportunity that you can do from home. For a minimal fee, direct sales companies will give you a starter kit that includes everything you need to get started. From here, you'll follow their detailed guide on how to sell products; usually, this is done through in-home parties or catalog sales. For each sale you make, you'll earn a commission. The nice thing about the direct sales industry is many of the opportunities are open to global residents.
Here are some companies that offer global home business opportunities:
- Amway (vitamins, skincare products, and water treatment systems) – Worldwide
- Arbonne (skincare and supplements) – US, Canada, UK, Australia, and Poland
- Avon (cosmetics, fragrances, and toiletries) – Worldwide
- Belcorp (beauty products) – Latin America
- cabi (clothing) – US, UK, and Canada
- Creative Memories (scrapbooking and photo supplies) – US and Canada
- Isagenix (weight loss solutions) – US, Canada, Mexico, Malaysia, Indonesia, Australia, New Zealand, Puerto Rico, Colombia, Singapore, Hong Kong, Taiwan, and Vietnam
- Jamberry Nails (nail wraps) – US, Canada, Australia, and New Zealand
- Jeunesse (personal care and nutritional supplements) – U.S., Mexico, Europe, Africa, Asia, Australia, and New Zealand
- Mary Kay (cosmetics and skincare products) – Available in 35 countries on five continents
- Menard (cosmetics) – North America, Asia, Europe, and the Middle East
- Natura (cosmetics) – Brazil, Argentina, Bolivia, Chile, Colombia, Mexico, Peru, France, and the UK
- Nerium (skincare products) – US, Canada, and Mexico
- Nu Skin (skincare and nutritional products) – Worldwide
- Oriflame (beauty products) – Europe, Asia, Africa, and Latin America
- Pampered Chef (gourmet kitchen tools and cookware) – US, UK, Canada, and Germany
- Peekaboo Beans (children's clothing) – US and Canada
- Scentsy (home decor and food items) – US, Canada, Mexico, France, Netherlands, Spain, Ireland, UK, Australia, and New Zealand
- Shaklee (nutritional supplements) – US, Canada, China, Indonesia, Japan, Malaysia, Mexico, and Taiwan
- Silver Icing (clothing) – Canada
- Stella & Dot (jewelry and accessories) – US and Canada
- Tupperware (storage and serving solutions) – US and Canada
- USANA (nutritional and personal care products) – US, Canada, Mexico, Colombia, UK, France, Belgium, Netherlands, Japan, Hong Kong, Korea, Taiwan, Australia, Philippines, New Zealand, Singapore, and Thailand
- ViSalus (healthy meals, drinks, and snacks) – US, France, UK, Netherlands, Spain, Italy, and Poland, and Sweden
- Vorwerk (household appliances and cosmetics) – UK, Spain, France, Italy, and the Netherlands
- Yanbal – (skincare, cosmetics, jewelry, and fragrances) – Latin America
While this list is nowhere near complete, it will give you a good place to start your global work at home search. Please be aware that these direct sales companies have not been researched by me personally. As is always the case, you need to do your due diligence before enrolling in any business opportunity.
What international jobs, opportunities, and direct sales companies do you know about? I'll add them to the list.
You’ll Also Love These Posts:
Studies have shown if you like this blog post — you will also love the following articles.
- How One Mom Turned Her Business into a Global Copywriting and Content Marketing Agency
- Work-at-Home Translator Jobs and Opportunities
- Huge List of Direct Sales Companies in Canada
This page includes some affiliate and referral links. Please be aware that we only promote advertising from companies that we feel we can legitimately recommend to our readers. Please see our disclosure policy for further information.