Back when I was in college, I worked for a telemarketing company. While the gig itself was flexible with its hours and it paid well, it totally exhausted me. More often than not, people did not want to converse on the phone (which I totally get), so I would have to deal with their anger, irritation, and lots of hang-ups.
Over time I dreaded going in to work. After college, I worked for Medicaid doing prior authorization for nursing visits and home medical equipment. Again, I was on the phone for long periods dealing with disgruntled providers — no fun!
While a lot of work-at-home jobs are phone-based, the Internet has opened up a new breed of customer service that does not require being on the phone. In fact, live customer service chat is becoming more and more popular every day. Some of these chat positions do require background knowledge of a specific area, and many of them require you to type a certain number of words per minute, so make sure you read all of the criteria before applying.
If you want to work-from-home as a chat agent, here are nine companies to check out:
- Help fix technical issues and provide customer service.
- Type 35 words per minute.
- Online chat associates are responsible for providing basic to complex technical support.
- Pay $10 – $12 hour.
- Hires online moderators and agents to perform tasks like social media moderation, customer service, engagement, and monitoring.
- Positions are part-time with hourly pay.
- Must have strong typing skills.
- Mod contributors specialize in digital engagement such as moderating content, chatting with customers, managing communities, checking for bugs, and updating social media.
- Live product expertise for retailers.
- Earn money and points to spend in Needle's store.
- You must be based in the USA.
- College education.
- Type 30 to 40 words per minute.
- Pay – $10.25 per hour.
- Must be an Uber evangelist.
- Weekend and weekly evening shifts required.
- Solid writing skills.
- Type 80 words per minute.
- Native-level English.
Looking for more chat agent jobs? Check out FlexJobs and Indeed — they have lots to choose from. Just make sure that you thoroughly read the job description. Many of these jobs do require some phone time, so if you're against being on the phone, you'll want to make sure that the position is 100 percent online chat and email.
Get Paid For Sexting?
One last word of caution, the chat agent jobs for phone actresses, are sex chat operator jobs — just want you to be aware of what you're applying for if you run across these listings. I do not cover this opportunity or phone sex jobs on this site. If you're interested in working from home as a chat sex operator, WAH Adventures has a list of hiring companies.
As more and more companies go online with their businesses, there will be more and more opportunities to work-from-home as a chat agent. I will continue to update this list as new jobs pop up.
Have you worked from home as a chat agent? Which company did you work for? Drop us a note; we'd love to hear from you!
This page includes referral links. Please be aware that we only promote advertising from companies that we feel we can legitimately recommend to our readers. Please see our disclosure policy for further information.