Are you looking for remote chat agent jobs where you don’t have to talk on the phone? Keep reading; this post has you covered.
Back when I was in college, I worked for a telemarketing company. While the gig itself was flexible and paid well, it exhausted me. More often than not, people did not want to converse on the phone (which I get), so I would have to deal with their anger, irritation, and lots of curse words and hang-ups.
Over time, I dreaded going in to work. After college, I worked for Medicaid doing prior authorization for nursing visits and home medical equipment. Again, I was on the phone for long periods dealing with disgruntled providers — no fun!
While many work-at-home jobs are phone-based, the Internet has opened up a new breed of customer service that does not require being on the phone. In fact, live customer service chat is becoming more and more popular every day. Some of these chat agent jobs require background knowledge of a specific area, and many of them require you to type a certain number of words per minute, so make sure you read all of the fine print before applying.
13 Chat Agent Jobs You Can Do From Home
1. Chat Shop – Live Chat Agent
- You must be fast and accurate typists with excellent communication skills.
- The Chat Shop is only hiring in the UK, Florida, Georgia, Tennessee, and Texas.
- According to Glassdoor.com, the average salary is $13 per hour.
2. Concentrix – Home Agent
- Online chat associates are responsible for providing basic to complex technical support.
- Hires in most states in the US.
- The average pay is $14 per hour.
3. Guitar Center – CHAT Agent
- Must love music and have a passion for helping people.
- You’ll need a high school diploma or GED and at least 2 years of experience.
- You must be able to type 30 words per minute (WPM).
4. LiveChat – Support Hero
- You’ll need fast and accurate typing skills, at least 40 WPM.
- Must have a perfect command of the English language.
5. LiveWorld – Social Media Agent
- Hires online social media agents to perform tasks like social media moderation, customer support, engagement, and monitoring.
- Must have 2-3 years of experience in online moderation and strong typing skills.
- The average pay is $9-$14 per hour.
6. ModSquad – Mods
- Mod contributors specialize in digital engagement such as moderating content, chatting with customers, managing communities, checking for bugs, and updating social media.
- In this role, you’ll work as an independent contractor.
- The average pay is $11-$14 per hour.
Related Content: Work-at-Home Jobs: Forum and Chat Moderator
7. Needle – Brand Advocate
- Chat online with customers to help them find the right products.
- Must be at least 18 years old and able to type 35 WPM.
- You’ll need a laptop or desktop computer and a reliable internet connection.
- These are independent contracting roles that pay $10-$15 per hour.
8. OutPLEX – Customer Service Rep
- Must be able to type 30-50 WPM with zero errors.
- You’ll need a high school diploma and a Windows Operating System.
- Must have excellent spelling, grammar, and communication skills.
- The average pay is $10-$14 per hour.
9. Site123 – Sales Chat Specialist
- Must be tech-savvy and understand the website builder field.
- You need to have proven experience in sales and customer service.
- Must be knowledgeable of social media platforms like Facebook, Twitter, and LinkedIn.
10. SiteStaff – Chat Host
- You must be based in the USA and have a college education.
- Must be able to type 65-75+ WPM.
- You must have excellent punctuation, grammar, and spelling.
- The Average pay is $12-$14 per hour.
11. Sitel – Customer Service Representative
- Hires full-time and part-time W2 employees to provide customer service to brands from around the globe.
- Some jobs include may include phone work, but I think you can specify that you’d prefer chat, email, and social correspondence during the application process.
- Must have a Windows operating desktop computer or laptop, high-speed internet connection, and a USB headset.
- The average pay rate is $11-$14 per hour.
- Sitel does not accept applicants from California, Washington, and New York.
12. Hopper – Travel Experience Agent
- Hiring full-time agents with at least two years of experience using a global distribution system (Sabre, Apollo, or Amadeus).
- In this role, you’ll assist customers using email and chat.
- Hopper offers a competitive salary and extensive benefits including health insurance.
13. Upwork – Chat Support Specialist Jobs
Upwork is a freelance marketplace where freelancers can connect with companies that need their skills. With Upwork, you can create a profile that showcases your skills and expertise, and you can also browse freelance assignments on the site and submit bids for gigs that you’d like to work on.
One chat agent job that I found was for a chat agent to answer questions about insurance via text, email, and through their app, and the pay rate was $12.50-$22.00 per hour.
Upwork does charge a fee for using their platform, and rates can be seen below:
- $0-$500 in earnings – 20% service fee
- $500.01-$10,000 in earnings – 10% service fee
- $10,000.01 or more in earnings – 5% service fee
Another Way to Find Online Chat Jobs
If you’re browsing the web and notice that a website has a live chat agent box function, look on their career page and see if they hire remote chat agents. Some companies use third-party employers to fill their chat agent positions, but others hire in-house. And some chat agent functions are automated through artificial intelligence (AI), but it’s worth exploring to see if the company might be hiring. You can usually find a link to the company’s career page in their website’s footer.
Can You Tolerate a Little Phone Work?
If you’re looking for more chat agent jobs, check out FlexJobs – they have many to choose from. Just make sure that you thoroughly read the job description. Many live chat agent jobs require some phone support, so if you’re against being on the phone, you’ll want to make sure that the position is 100% online chat, email, and social media.
Get Paid For Sexting?
One word of caution: phone actresses’ chat agent jobs are sex chat operator jobs. I want you to know what you’re applying for if you run across these job postings. I do not cover this opportunity or phone sex jobs on the site. If you’re interested in working from home as a chat sex operator, WAH Adventures has a list of hiring companies.
As more and more companies go online with their businesses, more and more work-from-home chat agent jobs will be available. I will continue to update this list as new jobs pop up.
Do you have a remote chat support job? Which company did you work for? Drop us a note; we’d love to hear from you!
Originally published January 21, 2015. Content updated March 2, 2022.