By Holly Reisem Hanna
There is absolutely no excuse for you NOT to earn money from home this year! With advances in technology, more jobs are able to be done from home and startup costs for launching your own business are little to nothing.
If you're ready to FINALLY work from home — here are some resources you MUST check out!
Full or Part-Time Telecommuting Positions.
Here are the top work-at-home career fields for 2016 and some of the companies that hire remote workers in each of these fields:
- HealthCare – Aetna and Humana
- Customer Service – Sutherland CloudSource and LiveOps
- Sales – Appen and Overland Solutions
- Tech – Xerox and Apple
- Administrative – FlexProfessionals, LLC and eaHelp
- Education – K12 and Connections Academy
- Marketing – DVMelite and Teradata Corporation
- Transcription – Rev and TranscribeMe
Still can't find what you're looking for? These articles offer solutions to your biggest concerns:
- Work-at-Home Jobs with Benefits
- Christian Work-at-Home Jobs
- Work-at-Home Jobs by Location
- Legit Work-at-Home Job Listings
- Find the Right Work-at-Home Job For Your Situation
Earn Extra Money.
If you need just a little extra cash, these opportunities are flexible and don't require any special skills. I've written about each of these in depth — so just click on the category and it will take you to the companies that offer these side gigs.
- Complete Short Tasks
- Digital Earning Opportunities
- Make Money with Your Smartphone
- Online Surveys
- Paid Writing Gigs
- Participate in Focus Groups
- Sell Stuff Online
- Testing Websites for Payment
Take Your Current Job Home.
Do you already have a job that you LOVE? Consider bringing it home by submitting a telecommuting proposal. Start by contacting your HR department to see if they have a telecommuting policy in place. Once you know their rules and regulations you can move forward with your work-at-home proposal. Make sure to include all of the benefits to the company – including the cost to recruit, hire, and train a new employee to replace you if you decide to leave.
Join a Direct Sales Company.
The direct sales industry has come a long way in the past 20 years; now offering products from major designers and well-known corporations – the opportunities are endless. If you're not familiar with how direct sales model works here's the gist of it …
For a small startup fee, you're given everything you need to start you own selling business from home. For each product that you sell — you'll earn a commission. Most companies provide you with training, marketing materials, a website, and sample products.
Here are a few companies with neat opportunities:
- Avon – Only $25 to get started!
- cabi – Be a personal stylist and sell designer clothing.
- Chloe + Isabel – Fashionable jewelry and you don't have to build a team!
- Dakomoda – High-end children's clothing at affordable prices.
- Initials, Inc. – Earn an average of $49 an hour!
- Stella & Dot – Seen on the wrists and necklines of today’s hottest celebrities.
- Tastefully Simple – Are you a foodie?!
- Traveling Vineyard – Wine … need I say, more?
For more direct sales opportunities — check out this massive list of companies you can work with!
Be Your Own Boss.
Do you prefer to be your own boss? But you don't know what to do … and you're not sure how to get started? No problem. There are many paths you can take to becoming an entrepreneur, from building a business from scratch, to purchasing a franchise or business-in-a-box concept.
Here are a few options to consider:
Independent Business Owner:
With this option, you file your paperwork for an LLC and you contract with larger companies to provide customer service. The neat thing about this option is you're given extensive training and you don't have to find your own clients, but your earning potential can be limited.
While franchises usually require a substantial startup fee, they can be a low-risk and lucrative way to run your own business. The nice thing about a franchise is that all the hard work has been done for you; you basically pay for the franchise and fees and you’re given a detailed roadmap on how to replicate the business exactly. But because you're working under an established brand, you don't have as much flexibility in how you conduct business, since you must adhere to the franchise agreement.
- Baby Bodyguards – Baby Proofing Business
- Cruise Planners – Travel Planner
- Decorating Den – Interior Decorator
- Fit For Mom – Fitness Classes
- Homeowner Referral Network – Home Improvement Contractor Referral Business
- Just Between Friends – Consignment Events
For a minimal startup fee, a business-in-a-box gives you a detailed roadmap on how to start and run a business. With this option you tend to have more flexibility in terms of running your business, but it generally lacks the ongoing support that a franchise has.
- Healthy Hands Cooking – Kids Cooking Classes
- KinderSigns – Baby Sign Language
- Photo Bake Shop – Personalized Cooking Printing
- Property Appraisal Business – Estate Sale Business
- Pure e-Commerce – Ecommerce Business
- The Stork Lady – Stork Sign Rental Business
Start a Home Business From Scratch:
If you're up for the challenge, starting a business from scratch gives you the most flexibility in terms of how you run your business and how much you earn. The downside is … you're doing it on your own, figuring out the components as you go.
Here are a few business ideas you can start from home:
How do you plan to earn income in 2016?
This page includes some affiliate and referral links. Please be aware that we only promote advertising from companies that we feel we can legitimately recommend to our readers. Please see our disclosure policy for further information.