Are you ready to work-from-home? Then 2019 is your year!
With advances in technology and with corporate attitudes being more acceptive of telecommuting, there are more work-at-home positions than ever before! According to FlexJob’s annual analysis of the top companies that hire remote workers, as of 2017, 43% of US workers now work remotely at least occasionally, up from only, at the most, 9% of workers in 2007.
Have more of an entrepreneurial spirit?
No problem. According to Early to Rise if you have ambition, vision, desire, and are willing to work hard, you can start a successful online business for less than $500.
So, if you’re ready to FINALLY work-from-home — here are some great resources, job leads, and information to jumpstart your work-at-home career in 2019!
Looking for a Telecommuting Position?
According to FlexJobs, the five fastest-growing remote career categories are therapy, virtual administration, client services, tutoring, and state and local government positions. Of course, teachers, writers, developers, analysts, sales reps, nurses, accountants, and program managers are still in high-demand too.
Here are the top career fields and companies hiring in these industries.
- Therapy – VocoVision, Global Teletherapy, Talkspace, and ProCare Therapy
- Virtual Admin – Belay, VaVa Virtual Assistants, My BTLR, Profit Factory
- Client Services – TD Ameritrade, Supporting Strategies, and Ciox Health
- Tutoring – VIPKid, 51Talk/HAWO, EF (Education First), and Chegg
- Government – USA Jobs.gov (use the keyword “telework” when searching)
- Teachers – K12, Connections Academy, and Edgenuity
- Writers – Problogger, Writing Assistance, Inc, and Zagat
- Developers – Dell, Computer Futures, and Modis
- Analysts – Wallet Hub, Kelly Services, and First Quarter Finance
- Sales – Appen, American Express, and Working Solutions
- Nurses – Aetna, Humana, and Wellbox
- Finance – JPMorgan Chase and Capital One
- Program Managers – Onward Search and Cyber Coders
Still, not finding what you’re looking for?
These articles will help you find the perfect telecommuting option based on your particular situation.
Work-at-Home Jobs By Occupation:
- Medical Coders and Billers
Work-From-Home Jobs Listed By Industry:
- Customer Service
- Home, Auto, and Life Insurance
- Hospitality, Travel, and Tourism
- Medical Insurance Jobs
Remote Jobs and Opportunities by Interest:
- Craft Jobs
- Disney Lovers
- English Majors
- Math Lovers
- Music Lovers
- Outdoor Enthusiasts
- Pet Lovers
Work-at-Home Jobs by Situation:
- Work-at-Home Jobs with Benefits
- Work-at-Home Jobs Listed by State
- Work-at-Home Jobs with No Fees
- Work-at-Home Jobs with an A+ BBB Rating
- Non-Phone Work-at-Home Jobs
- Best Work-at-Home Careers for People Over 50
- Virtual Part-Time Jobs
Are You Disabled?
Employment Options, helps qualified job seekers with disabilities (who receive SSDI or SSI benefits) find work-at-home employment for free. In addition to finding suitable remote positions, their certified career counselors assist clients with assessing skills and abilities, application completion, preparing resumes, interview practice, and much more.
Related Content: Best Work-at-Home Jobs for People with a Chronic Illness
Are You Located Outside the United States?
The Work at Home Woman is geared for U.S. residents, but we do have a post for Canadians and FlexJobs has a great list of international listings.
Need Extra Cash?
For some reason, surveys, short tasks, and odd jobs get a bad rap. No, they’re not going to make you rich, but, they can help you pay down your debt, cover your coffee habit at Starbucks, or add some extra money to your savings account. To be successful with side hustles — you just need to create a plan and execute it. For instance, if you answer four surveys a day, and each one pays $1.00, and you do this for 30-days at the end of the month, you’ll have $120!
- Short Tasks
- Focus Groups
- On-Demand Gigs
- Get Paid to Walk
- Make Money With Your Car
- Paid Surveys
- Paid Writing Gigs
- Rent Your Stuff
- Run Errands
- Sell Stuff Online
- Sell T-Shirts Online
- Smartphone Apps
- Website Testing
Want to Bring Your Current Job Home?
Do you already have a job that you LOVE? Then bring it home by submitting a telecommuting, flextime, or job sharing proposal (and don’t assume your employer will say no until you’ve asked). Start by checking your company’s telecommuting policy, if there’s nothing in the manual, do your research, and write up a flex time or work-at-home proposal. Be sure to include all of the benefits to the company – including the cost to recruit and hire a new employee to replace you if you decide to quit.
Need help writing your proposal? Here are some articles to help you get started.
- How to Write and Pitch a Telecommuting Proposal to Your Boss
- How to Convert Your Office Job to a Telecommuting Position
Want to Be Your Own Boss?
Do you prefer to be your own boss? But you don’t know what to do, and you’re not sure how to get started? No problem. There are many paths you can take to becoming an entrepreneur, from building a business from scratch to purchasing a franchise or business-in-a-box concept.
Here are some small business options to consider.
Join a Direct Sales Company.
The direct sales industry has come a long way in the past 20 years; now offering products from major designers and well-known corporations the opportunities are endless.
If you’re not familiar with the direct sales model here’s how it works. For a small startup fee, you’ll get everything you need to start and run a business from home. For each product that you sell — you’ll earn a commission. Most direct sales companies provide you with training, marketing materials, a website, and sample products.
Here are some companies with fun opportunities:
- Avon – Beauty, makeup, and skincare products
- cabi – Designer clothing, shoes, and jewelry
- Initial Outfitters – Personalized jewelry and gifts
- MONAT Global – Premium, non-toxic hair care products
- Sseko Designs – Apparel, footwear, jewelry, and accessories
- Stella & Dot – In-style jewelry, accessories, clothing, and handbags
- Tastefully Simple – Gourmet food mixes and spices
- Traveling Vineyard – Wine
For more direct sales opportunities, check out this massive list of companies you can choose to work with!
Starting a Business on a Budget?
Are you working on a tight budget? No problem. Many home-based business opportunities and courses are FREE or only require a minimal investment. Here are just a few resources to get you on your way.
- 6 Home Businesses You Can Start With No Money
- Free Online Courses to Launch Your Work-at-Home Career
- A HUGE List of Free Resources to Help Run Your Home-Based Business
- How to Earn Money With Only a $25 Business Investment
- Home Businesses You Can Start For Less Than $59
Need more budget-friendly ideas? Check out Chris Guillebeau’s book, The $100 Startup where he features a bunch of case studies from successful entrepreneurs who launched businesses on shoestring budgets.
Become an Independent Business Owner.
With these options, you file your paperwork for a Limited Liability Company (LLC) or an Employee Identification Number (EIN), and you contract with larger companies to provide customer service via the phone. The advantages of this arrangement are you’re given extensive training, and you don’t have to find your own clients. The disadvantages of these options are you have less control over how you run your business, and your earning potential can be limited since you’re not negotiating your own rates.
Become a Home-Based Franchise Owner.
While franchises usually require a substantial startup fee, they can be a low-risk and lucrative way to run your own business. The beautiful thing about a franchise is that all the hard work has been done for you; you pay for the franchise and fees, and you’re given a detailed roadmap on how to replicate the business exactly. But because you’re working with an established name brand, you don’t have as much flexibility in how you conduct business, since you must adhere to the franchise agreement.
- Baby Bodyguards – Babyproofing Business
- Club Z – Tutoring Franchise
- Cruise Planners – Travel Planner
- Decorating Den – Interior Decorator
- Fit For Mom – Fitness Classes
- Homeowner Referral Network – Contractor Referral Business
- Just Between Friends – Consignment Events
- Starz Program – Children’s Fitness
For a minimal start-up fee, a business-in-a-box gives you a detailed roadmap on how to start and run an at-home business. With this option, you tend to have more flexibility and you don’t have to build a team.
- Alice’s Table – Floral Event Business
- Healthy Hands Cooking – Cooking Classes for Kids
- Hidden Values – Niche Magazine Publisher
- Hulafrog – Online Publisher
- Kaeser & Blair – Sell Promotional Items
- KinderSigns – Baby Sign Language
- Property Appraisal Business – Estate Sale Business
- Pure Ecommerce – Dropshipping Business
- The Stork Lady – Stork Sign Rental Business
Start a Home Business From Scratch:
If you’re up for the challenge, starting a business from scratch gives you the most flexibility regarding how you run your business and how much you earn. The downside is you’re doing it all on your own and figuring out the components as you go.
Here are some business ideas you can start at home:
- Bed and Breakfast
- Career Coach
- Craft Seller
- Event Planner
- Freelance Writer
- Graphic Designer
- Home Stager
- Personal Concierge
- Resume Writer
- Social Media Marketer
- Virtual Assistant
- Voice Actor
Need more ideas? This post has 99 work-at-home ideas to get your creative juices flowing.
No matter where you’re at on your career path, we have training resources that can help you get to that next level. See these to get started.
- Free Online Courses to Launch Your Work-at-Home Career
- As a Parent, Should I Go Back to School?
- Work Your Way 2019 – Free Virtual Event
So what’s the best work-from-home opportunity for 2019? That’s for you to decide!
There is no one-size-fits-all career solution when it comes to choosing a work-at-home opportunity, but I think each one of these is a good option.
Now that I’ve shared my take on the best work-from-home jobs for 2019 – I want to know what you think! Leave a comment and let me know: What’s your favorite way to make money from home? Or what type of business do you run?
You’ll Also Love These Posts:
Studies have shown if you like this blog post — you will also love the following articles.
- 11 Legit, High Paying Work-at-Home Careers
- Over 175 Work-at-Home Jobs and Opportunities For Moms
- Flexible Jobs That Pay $19 or More Per Hour
Originally published December 22, 2016. Content updated January 1, 2019.
This page includes affiliate links. Please be aware that we only promote advertising from companies that we feel we can legitimately recommend to our readers. Please see our disclosure policy for further information.