Every year, without fail, the holidays seem to find a way of sneaking up us. It’s not that we’re unaware of the passage of time, it just seems to fly by faster than any of us wants it to. The only thing faster, (and scarier), than that spinning holiday clock is the amount of cash flying from our wallets.
On average, Americans are estimated to spend approximately $885 on Christmas gifts alone this year (based on the NRF’s 2018’s spending assessment) and winter holidays (like Christmas) cap off as the highest spending event yearly for retail customers nationwide.
With retail Christmas spending at about $1,000 per consumer, it’s no wonder why earning enough money to cover the vast array of holiday expenses can be an especially daunting task.
Getting a jump on that Christmas cash-flow is one of the most important things consumers can do to ensure a stress-free holiday.
That’s why we’ve found the answer to all your money tension with ten side-hustles that are sure to curb that sense of wallet crunching fear this holiday season.
One of the best parts about these side hustles? They are NOT only simple, but they’re fun and can be done in your spare time!
So, are you ready to hustle?
Here are ten fantastic side-hustles for earning your Christmas cash:
Do you like sharing your opinion? How about posting your opinion and earning money at the same time? Sounds amazing, right? Online surveys have become a popular, simple side hustle for many women who are balancing everything from full households to other jobs.
Businesses today thrive on consumer opinions like yours, and with so many companies creating and producing, the need for open, honest opinions is not going away any time soon.
One such company that rewards its members on a variety of levels is Swagbucks. Swagbucks is a rewards program that gives members gift cards and cash via a point system for shopping at favorite retailers, searching the web, and, of course, answering surveys. As points accumulate, you can convert them into gift cards for your favorite spots like Amazon, or Walmart. You can even get cashback from PayPal. Consider your holiday shopping done!
If you’re serious earning extra Christmas cash, don’t settle for one survey company; join a few.
Here are some great sites you can take for a test drive:
- InboxDollars allows you to earn money every day for completing simple tasks, such as filling out surveys, answering emails, or simply watching TV.
- FusionCash offers multiple ways to earn money, surveys included. Grab a $5 sign up bonus just for signing up!
- User Interviews you can browse projects which include surveys, website testing, and focus groups. One travel study recently paid $125 for 60 minutes, not bad!
- Survey Junkie allows you to be an influencer for brands! These surveys will enable you to share your opinion on products and services that will help shape brands to provide a better consumer experience. As you take a variety of surveys, you’ll earn virtual points that you can redeem for PayPal Cash or gift cards for your holiday spending!
- Opinion Outpost gives you cash and gift cards for surveys and sweepstakes you complete online!
2. Fall Cleaning? Perfect for Falling into Some Christmas Cash!
Spring isn’t the only time of year that you can clean up and cash in. Fall is the perfect time to clean out those unused items and turn them into extra money.
Online marketplaces and apps are by far one of my favorite side hustles for earning holiday cash. Besides being incredibly user-friendly, these sites are brimming with a lot of earning potential. As a bonus: Decluttering feels good too!
Ready to clean up and cash in? Here are some of my favorite “go-to” sites for selling:
- Gazelle is an online platform for buying and selling used smartphones, tablets, and electronic devices. Do you have any extras lying around? Sell them here.
- ThredUp is a huge online thrift and consignment store with an amazingly simple selling concept. Here’s how it works: ThredUp sends you a bag, fill up it up with your clothes, send it off (the bag is prepaid), and ThredUp contacts you with how much they will give you. It’s that simple!
- eBay is for anything and everything you find in your house. Easy to use, and you get broad exposure from people looking for items like yours. eBay takes a small percentage of your sale, but it’s worth it when you’re cashing in.
- OfferUp is a must-have app for your smartphone. With zero selling fees and a simple process, it’s going to be a quick favorite. Here’s how it works: Take pictures and upload right from your phone, type in a quick description of your item, decide if you want to sell your item locally or you are willing to ship it and sell!
Looking for other ideas on how you can turn your household items into holiday cash?
Check out these articles:
3. SUV Side Hustle? Earn Holiday Cash with your Car
With the popularity of both Uber and Lyft on the rise, the chances are good that you or someone you know has utilized these services more than once.
The upcoming holidays mark one of the busiest travel seasons of the year, and you can bet that individuals are going to need drivers for a variety of holiday events. From train stations to airports to holiday parties and gatherings, you can make some serious cash during the holiday rush this season!
You can choose from driving individuals to their destinations or delivering food to a holiday party.
Below are some of the best companies we’ve found:
4. Freelance Your Way to Holiday Cash!
The freelancing world has never been better for writers and designers alike. With many companies hiring for individuals to write on their blogs, create product reviews, design pins, websites, and more, the possibilities are endless. Here are some great platforms to get you started:
5. Grab Cash Back for Your Holiday Spending
I will start by saying I’m an absolute lover of coupons. I’m that annoying girl in the checkout area who desperately searches for “that coupon” I know I had before getting in line with restless little ones. Here are my favorite places to earn cashback online:
- Rakuten (Formerly Ebates): is one of my favorite spots to get cashback and score coupons. I have made almost $300 in cash from Rakuten for simply doing what I always do: Shop online! In addition to cashback, Rakuten features a ton of coupons and various deals. Even if you don’t shop online, you can connect your debit or credit card to Rakuten so you can continue to score big at your favorite brick and mortar stores. Win-win!
- Ibotta: Works by helping you earn cash from the products you already buy. You can send a receipt over for review, link your loyalty card, or complete mobile in-app purchases. It’s simple and a great side hustle that will earn you even more cash for the holidays.
6. Love Dogs? Earn Christmas Cash while Playing with Pups!
By far one of my personal favorites, Rover is an app that allows you to become a “pet parent” for a day, a week, or overnight! You set your own pricing and schedule! Walk a dog on your lunch break, puppy sit a neighbor’s dog for the weekend and grab that cash!
To get going on Rover all you need to do is:
- Create your profile showing who you are
- Choose the types of dogs you would like to care for and the dates that work for you
- Get paid two days after you’ve completed the service!
It’s that simple!
7. Have a Smartphone? Sell your Photos Online!
My iPhone currently boasts 5,400 photos, and while at least 5,350 of them are of my kiddos (no joke!) I’m betting that there are a few pics in there that I could sell for some cash! Even if you don’t have a “photographic eye,” there is money to be made from selling your photos online! Here are a few spots where you can sell those beautiful pics:
Foap: Download the Foap app and then upload your photos! When your photos sell, you reap a profit! The profit split is 50/50 but, in my opinion, every dollar counts!
Shutterstock: if you have some higher quality photos, you can upload them for sale at Shutterstock! This is by far one of the most popular stock photography sites and every time your photo or video is sold, you’ll earn up to 30% of the sale price all while retaining your copyright. Worth checking out for sure!
8. Become a Website Tester! (No Experience Necessary!)
This is not as scary as it sounds! In fact, it’s a ton of fun! Don’t have any website testing experience? No problem! All you’ll need to get paid is a reliable internet connection! Here are a few website testing companies to get you started:
UserTesting: start off on this site by getting $10 via PayPal for every 20-minute video you complete. User Testing pays you to visit websites and apps where you’ll complete a set of tasks and get paid up to $60 per test. You will need to download their testing software, and you must speak English in order to participate.
UserBrain: Earning money with UserBrain is as simple as speaking your thoughts! This website testing company asks users to express precisely what they’re thinking as they go through the tests. You’ll need to download Chrome Extension or iOS app to start testing websites, and then you’ll be on your way to earning cash! Each test takes only 5 to 15 minutes to complete, and you’ll earn $3.00 per test. Tests are sent out weekly, and you’re paid out via PayPal! Easy Peasy!
Do you love helping others? Becoming a virtual assistant (VA) is one great way to not only do what you love but earn some serious Christmas cash in the process! A VA is skilled at providing businesses with administrative, technical, or creative tasks.
Becoming a virtual assistant does take a little of bit of know-how so you’ll want to research this side hustle before diving in full swing! You can take a course on how to become a VA, or if you have some experience already, you can check out these job boards for landing your first virtual assistant gig!
10. Cash in on Books, Old Phones, and More!
More than likely you’ll do your share of online shopping this holiday season and what better way to earn some Christmas cash than by trading in your old electronic devices and books for Amazon gift cards! If you have books collecting dust from your college years, old cell phones, gaming devices, and more, the Amazon trade-in program is for you! These may be gift cards, but if you shop at Amazon the way I do, it is just as great as cash in hand!
Side hustles are flexible, fun and will provide some needed cushion to your credit cards, so you’re not feeling the holiday cheer well into the New Year. Fire up your first side hustle and earn some Christmas coin this season!
Do you have a side-hustle success story? Share it with us below! Have questions about side-hustles? Ask away! We’re here to help!
Originally published November 5, 2018. Content updated in November 2019.